Stretching is one of the most effective exercises for getting relief from lower back pain. It helps in circulating blood to those muscles which cause pain in the lower back.
The following 4 stretching exercises will help you in getting relief from your lower back pain:
1. Supine Hamstring Stretches
- Lie down on your back and put a rolled-up towel or a strap around your foot’s ball.
- Hold the strap/towel at each end and then straighten the leg to the ceiling.
- Now pull the leg back to your chest using your hands.
- Hold this position for 3 to 5 minutes and then do the same with the other leg.
Repeat this stretching for another 3 to 5 minutes.
2. The Two-Knee Twist Stretch
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend the knees and bring on your chest.
- Now straighten the arms out on the sides and form a T. Make sure your back is flat on the floor.
- The knees should be held together and then lowered to right side.
- Hold this position for 60-120 seconds.
Repeat by moving your knees to the left side.
3. Sphinx Stretching
- Lie down flat on your stomach on the floor.
- Prop up your chest off the floor using the forearms.
- The elbows should be kept under the shoulders and then press down using your palms and top of your feet.
- Now rotate the pubic bone to the front.
- This will create certain pressure on the lower back (it is a sign that this stretching exercise is working).
Hold this position for 1 to 3 minutes.
4. Legs Up Wall Stretching
- Lie down on your back, keeping your feet on the wall.
- Scoot the buttocks ahead so that they are touching the wall. Your legs should then be straight against the wall.
This stretching exercise is great for your lower back and it will also drain any stagnant fluid from your ankles and feet.