Our tongue is never a reason to worry for anyone of us, but if you carefully look at some of the signs it shows, it can say a lot about your health. That’s the main reason your doctor checks it when he tells you to open your mouth. Chinese alternative medicine claims that our tongue says a lot about the state of our body. Any changes on it should tell you to visit a doctor.
For your reference, these 9 changes on the tongue can indicate health problems:
- A thin white layer, apparent tooth marks and several red dots – these are the symptoms that point to a lack of energy in the body. This in turn leads to fatigue, poor appetite and excessive sweating. Lack of energy also affects a person’s mood and increases their anxiety.
- A thin yellow layer in the middle surrounded by the red surface of the tongue – such tongue appearance indicate digestive issues, dehydration as well as skin diseases. Also, people with these symptoms on their tongue suffer from frequent mood swings.
- Mass white layer with swollen edges of the tongue – this symptom is linked to improper function of the digestive system and susceptibility to water retention. People with this symptom often feel tired and lethargic.
- Black spots on purple surface – this points to a compromised circulatory system function, so people with this symptom can suffer from varicose veins, feeling of heaviness in their legs, headache, chest pain and dull skin.
- A thin white layer accompanied by a red tongue tip – this symptom indicates excessive exposure to stress resulting from an unstable emotional state. Also, the body energy is accumulated in the nodes causing inflammation.
- Red tongue with thick yellow layers in the middle – this points to an elevated body temperature, which may be the result of urinary tract infection or skin problems. People with this symptom are also often nervous because they feel uncomfortable in their body.
- A thick white layer in the middle of a pale swollen tongue – this appearance indicates an infection or inflammation linked to an autoimmune disease, or vitamin and mineral deficiencies. This condition causes a pale complexion, spinal pain and a feeling of panic.
- Cracks on a red tongue surface – this points to a fungal infection in the body, and is often accompanied by night sweats, sleeplessness and irritability.
- A pale tongue without deposits – this symptom suggests reduced blood flow in the body, and possibly anemia, which in turn leads to dizziness and exhaustion. People with this symptom often lack focus and memory. In women, such tongue can indicate a possible hormonal imbalance.